Dentistry has a come a long way in the past few decades, giving us more and more options for solving common problems like tooth loss. Today you can choose from a bridge, dental implant, or comfortable, natural-looking dentures to restore function and appearance. At Gentle Dental Family Care we specialize in dental implants and have some of the best dental implant dentists in Queens, New York. Depending on your bone density, gums and other factors the dentists at Gentle Dental Family Care will work with you to make the best decision for your smile.
What are Dental Implants?
Think of dental implants as artificial tooth roots, similar in shape to screws. When dental implants are placed in your jawbone, they bond with your natural bone. They become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, called crowns.
For some people, ordinary bridges and dentures are simply not comfortable or even possible, due to sore spots, poor ridges or gagging. In addition, ordinary bridges must be attached to teeth on either side of the space left by the missing tooth. An advantage of implants is that no adjacent teeth need to be prepared or ground down to hold your new replacement tooth/teeth in place.
To receive implants, you need to have healthy gums and adequate bone to support the implant. You must also commit to keeping these structures healthy. Meticulous oral hygiene and regular dental visits are critical to the long-term success of dental implants.
Dental Implant Facts:
- Dental implants don’t get cavities.
- Dental implants preserve the jawbone.
- Dental implants are nearly as strong as natural teeth.
- Implants are usually made from titanium. They replace the root of a missing tooth and serve as an anchor for the replacement tooth or crown.
- When it is placed in your jawbone, the titanium post that forms the base of the implant fuses with your jawbone.
What are Dental Bridges?
If you have missing teeth, your dentist can close (or bridge) the gaps in your smile with dental bridges. A dental bridge is a false tooth (called a pontic) that is held in place by the abutment teeth on either side of the gap. Although pontics can be made from a variety of materials such as gold, typically they’re made from porcelain to aesthetically blend in with your natural teeth. A traditional dental bridge consists of a false tooth or teeth being held in place by dental crowns that have been cemented onto each of the abutment teeth. A traditional bridge is the most popular type of dental bridge and can be used when you have natural teeth on both sides of the gap created by your missing tooth.
Dental Bridges Facts:
- Bridges can be used to replace one to three teeth in your mouth.
- With proper care, dental bridges can last for several decades.
- The alignment of your teeth will be preserved with bridges.
- You will need to floss differently with a crown and bridge applied to teeth.
- There are several different kinds of bridges your dentist may recommend, depending on your dental issues and oral health.
Your Dental Health
When it comes to your health, both that of your mouth and your overall well-being, trust in the dentists at Gentle Dental Family Care. Your dentist will be able to identify any symptoms and send you to the right professionals for further care. Gentle Dental Family Care is the best dental practice in the Kew Gardens, Queens NY 11415 area and we are open on Sundays as well as late evenings. For a teeth cleaning or exam, we recommend coming into the office or booking an appointment here with one of our talented dental professionals. All new patients may also take advantage of our $99 Cleaning Special that includes an exam and x-rays. To set up your appointment give us a call at (718) 849-9797. We also welcome walk-ins, to accommodate patients with a busy schedule. We hope to see you soon!