When was the last time you’ve had your teeth cleaned? This is probably the first thing your dentist will ask you when you have tooth pain or when you come in for visit. However, this question can answer a lot about your oral health and overall health. Teeth cleanings are very important because they are also used as exams to point out any small problems what may be happening with your smile before they turn into bigger problems. At Gentle Dental Family Care we recommend our patients come in for regular dental cleanings every six months, and our dental plan includes two cleanings a year. Being seen twice a year prevents plaque and tartar from building up excessively. Insufficient oral hygiene has been linked to several serious illnesses. Associated medical and dental issues include bone loss, cardiovascular disease, strokes, cancers, and many other problems. Brushing and flossing at home are essential, but to ensure teeth are healthy and thoroughly clean, you should schedule regular check-ups with your dentist and annual dental cleanings with your dental hygienist.
Here are 5 reasons that professional dental cleanings are so important:
- Having your teeth cleaned can prevent gum disease, which leads to early tooth loss. Gum disease or periodontitis is a serious gum infection that damages gums and can destroy the jawbone. Periodontitis is common but fairly preventable. The cause is usually poor oral hygiene. Periodontitis can lead to tooth loss. It’s a risk factor for heart and lung diseases.
- Your dental hygienist can remove most of the stains that dull and discolor your teeth, so you’ll be left with a brighter, whiter smile. Catching and treating these stains early are the key to preventing darker stains from forming. Wear on the teeth is normal with aging, but with regular checkups its easier to resolve the problem.
- In America alone, one person dies from oral cancer every hour, but many of these cancers are curable if detected at an early stage during a routine cleaning. Signs of oral cancer are not always obvious, and most times only a dentist will be able to catch the signs. The earlier you detect any cancer the better your chances of recovery.
- Many dental plans cover cleanings, and you’ll save money on dental expenses in the long run by taking advantage of your policy. Even if you don’t have dental insurance, at Gentle Dental Family Care we have a comprehensive in-house dental plan that includes two cleanings, exams, x-rays, and 30% off any future procedures. We offer this plan to help those who may not have dental coverage still be able to maintain their dental health.
- A strong link exists between cardiovascular disease and gum disease. Because getting your teeth cleaned twice a year helps prevent gum disease, it can also reduce your chances of potentially deadly heart attacks and strokes. Dentists aren’t kidding when they say that dental health impacts your overall health.
What Can Happen If Dental Cleanings are Missed?
Regular cleanings can help detect problems before they get worse as well as prevent certain issues from occurring in the first place. Some of the things that can happen if you continually miss dental cleanings include:
Cavities and tooth decay can occur underneath built-up tartar and plaque because it is nearly impossible for you to remove on your own. Tooth decay can also occur between teeth, making it difficult to keep clean at home and may only be cleared away in a dental office.
Gum Disease occurs when plaque and tartar irritate the gum line. The gum line becomes inflamed and small pockets form around the teeth, allowing for more bacteria, food, and plaque to get in and further inflame the gums. This eventually leads to gum disease, which can cause tooth and bone loss.
Your Dental Health
When it comes to your health, both that of your mouth and your overall well-being, trust in the dentists at Gentle Dental Family Care. Your dentist will be able to identify any symptoms and send you to the right professionals for further care. Gentle Dental Family Care is the best dental practice in the Kew Gardens, Queens NY 11415 area and we are open on Sundays as well as late evenings. We’ve performed hundreds of dental implants, bridges, and all-on-four procedures. We are the best dental implant dentists in Queens. For a teeth cleaning or exam, we recommend coming into the office or booking an appointment here with one of our talented dental professionals. All new patients may also take advantage of our $99 Cleaning Special that includes an exam and x-rays. To set up your appointment give us a call at (718) 849-9797. We also welcome walk-ins, to accommodate patients with a busy schedule. We hope to see you soon!