Ever wondered what causes tooth sensitivity and how you can treat it? Well continue reading below for some solutions to your teeth pain.
If you suffer from sensitive teeth, activities such as eating, drinking, and brushing can cause sharp sometimes long-lasting pain in your teeth. Sensitive teeth are typically the result of worn tooth enamel or exposed tooth roots. Tooth discomfort could be caused by other factors, such as gum disease, a cracked or chipped tooth, a cavity, or a worn filling.
Teeth Sensitivity Treatments
If you’re bothered by sensitive teeth, come visit a dentist at Gentle Dental Family Care. We can identify or rule out any underlying causes of your tooth pain. Depending on the circumstances, your dentist might recommend:
- Desensitizing toothpaste- After several uses, desensitizing toothpaste may help to block the pain associated with sensitive teeth. Toothpaste, along with other over-the-counter rinses and products can also help over time. Ask your dentist at Gentle Dental Family Care which products would work best for you.
- Fluoride- Your Gentle Dental Family Care dentist may apply fluoride to the sensitive areas of your teeth to strengthen tooth enamel and reduce pain. He or she might also suggest the use of prescription fluoride at home, applied via a custom tray.
- Desensitizing or bonding- Exposed root surfaces can be treated by applying bonding resin to the sensitive root surfaces. A local anesthetic might be needed.
- Surgical gum graft- If your tooth root has lost gum tissue, a small amount of gum tissue can be taken from elsewhere in your mouth and attached to the affected site. This can protect exposed roots and reduce sensitivity.
- Root canal- If your sensitive teeth cause severe pain and other treatments aren’t effective, your Gentle Dental Family Care dentist might recommend a root canal, which is a procedure used to treat problems in the tooth’s soft core. While this might seem like a significant treatment, it’s considered the most successful technique for eliminating tooth sensitivity.
Teeth Sensitivity Prevention
To prevent tooth sensitivity from happening you should brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss regularly. Be sure to use gentle strokes with the toothbrush bristles to avoid aggravating your gums. If you grind your teeth, that may also be adding to the sensitivity. Be sure to ask your dentist at Gentle Dental Family Care about a mouth guard, or other options to permanently lessen your tooth pain.
Getting Professional Help
When it comes to your health, both that of your mouth and your overall well-being, trust in the dentists at Gentle Dental Family Care. We are the best dental practice in the Kew Gardens Queens, NY 11415 area. We are open on Sundays as well as late evenings. To determine what may be causing your teeth sensitivity, we recommend scheduling an appointment with one of our dental professionals. To set up your appointment give us a call at (718) 849-9797. We also welcome walk-ins, if you have a busy schedule. We hope to see you soon!